Thursday, December 16, 2010

Are We There Yet?

Apronkid penned a very poingnant and though provoking post called "Dear Prophet, Have You Prayed For Me?", and I wanted to elaborate a little on some of my own thoughts on the "dilema" of gays in the Church....

Apronkid said:
I believe in the Gospel of Christ, and the scriptures in which I place my faith are replete with angelic visitations and wondrous visions. I am part of a church that believes that God has revealed and will yet reveal many "great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God." If God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, then He can visit His prophet with angels and visions. Has President Monson asked God about His gay children? Has President Monson prayed for me?

To which I responded:
...Here's another thought to consider. Its one thing to ask, and quite another to recieve the answer. You must be ready to recieve it. Willing to accept it and act upon it. So I ask - is the Church ready to recieve such an answer? As a people are we ready to embrace our gay brothers and sisters? Perhaps the answer will not come until we, as a people, are ready to recieve it.

Let me elaborate on this thought.

There have been instances throughout religious history when the Lord wanted His people to go a certain direction, but the people themselves were not ready or willing to do so. Take Moses and the Israelites as an example. We're all familiar with the story of Moses going up on the mountain to talk to the Lord, and coming back with the 10 commandments. Wrong! That's the way its shown in the movie version, but a careful review of the scriptures will reveal that Moses actually went up on the mountain to recieve the higher laws of God. He was up there a very long time learning all this stuff. In the mean time, the Israelites got impatient and fell back on their old ways - worshiping idols and such - and when Moses came down he reaized the people weren't ready for the full Gospel. So the offer of the full Gospel was withdrawn and in its place the Law of Moses was implemented, which was a simpler law that would prepare the people to recieve the higher law somewhere down the road. The point is - the Lord was willing to GIVE the higher law, but the Israelites were not ready to RECIEVE it.

In many ways I think we're in a similar situation in the Church with the issue of homosexuality. I think some strides are being made to educate and awaken the membership to an awareness and acceptance of gays. Some. But not enough, I fear. As a people, as a Church, we aren't "there" yet. There are too many prejudices that still exist - even among leaders. There are too many misconceptions. Too much condemnation. Not enough compassion, and too much passing judgement. I truly believe the Church will not be ready for the Savior to come until we can embrace, love, nourish and succor ALL of God's children. When the Lord said to "leave the ninety and nine and go after the one", he didn't put on the qualifier "unless they are gay". Yet for many in the Church, I think that qualifier gets silently written into the message. Many of us in the MoHo community have felt the pain and isolation this can cause. This is the kind of thinking and attitude that has to change.

So, does the Prophet pray for us? I like to think he does. But what kind of answer does he get to those prayers? Maybe he's told the people aren't ready for the higher law. Maybe its like the Israelites of old - the Lord is ready to give an answer, but the people themselves aren't ready to recieve it. That makes it hard on us MoHos. We're ready for a change. So instead of sitting here frustrated I've decided to act. I AM PRAYING. Praying for the people to be ready. Praying for hearts to be softened. Praying for the Church to rise up and BE the Church of Jesus Christ - to TRULY be His people. The potential is there. The framework has been built, and the foundations laid. I believe one day we will get there - one day. But we aren't there yet.

7 comments:

this blog author said...

Stellar post. I am joining with you, in prayer, that our leaders, and others in and out of the Church, will be ready for the changes that we, as gay members of the Church, need. Thank you for the insights you have shared.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. :)

love, and respect, always.

Neal said...

Thanks man! Merry Christmas to you as well. :)

apronkid said...

"Unless they are gay" is certainly silently written in many of the Church's otherwise positive messages.

So let's keep praying and help others understand. Miracles happen after you've done all you can do, right?

Neal said...

Amen, Apronkid! And yes, miracles do happen. :)

FindingMyWay said...

RN,

FindingMyWay here. Remember me? :)

I've set up my own gay/Mormon blog and would like to share it with you. It's very new and I'm at a different place than I used to be... but it's all about my process. Feel free to stop by, but I understand if you don't.

http://findingmygaymormonway.blogspot.com/

Great to see you on here! I've missed you.

FMW

Neal said...

FMW,

Great to hear from you! I tried to post on your blog but could not. Regardless, I love you ALWAYS!! Keep in touch!

FindingMyWay said...

RN,

I fixed the problem on the blog, you should be able to post now. Thanks for being a follower. :)

I love you always too!

FMW