Monday, December 20, 2010

"Don't Ask" Bites the Dust

Thank GOODNESS they have finally overturned the stuipid "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy for our men and women in uniform! That policy always bugged the heck out of me, and even worse was the way gays were treated if they did come out. Hats off to Obama and the politicians who had the sense to end bad policy. Shame on those who stood in the way of it. We'll remember you in the next election...

Interestingly enough the Church has a similar policy about homosexuality. They advise you not to discuss it outside the closed doors of the Bishop's office. In some respects I think this is wise, and in other respects I think it sends the wrong message. My sexual orientation is not and should not be the focus of my life, so in this respect its wise. But at some point we have to get to the point where this type of thing can be discussed openly and without fear. Ignoring it does not make it go away, and in fact may make things worse because it introduces a "stigma" to the subject. I think this is especially true when it comes to talking to Youth about sexuality. They're going to hear about it one way or another, and some of the sources may not be of the best origin. If you want them to hear your point of view, you'd better not be shy about it!

Anyway, here's to progress and the hope for even more! :)

5 comments:

this blog author said...

Your point is well taken about there needing to be a point when we can talk openly in the Church about being gay and what it means for us.

Perhaps you have herd of William Bradshaw? I had the chance to hear him speak this fall at BYU. He talked about the biology of being gay and that science CAN prove that being gay is NOT a choice.

After the speech, I went up and spoke with him. One of the things I shared with him was having met with my former mission president, a now emeritus General Authority, on how best to proceed, being a gay woman in the Church. My former mission president told me to act on my gayness, to live my life quietly, to not tell anyone about my choices, to lie in my temple recommend interview, to "give them the answers they want", and, ... the list went on and on.

Brother Bradshaw shook his head back and forth and said, "It is people like this that makes this all so difficult. If we had an environment in which we could talk openly and honestly about being gay, we would not have people out there telling others to lie about who they are."

Amen.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Neal said...

Amen again! :)

Yes, I have read and listed to Bradshaw. A wonderful man!

And yes, the Church needs to break down the walls and have some serious dialogue about these issues instead of relegating them to the Bishop's office. There is too much at stake, and the time is right to step it up a notch.

Merry Christmas to you too!

FindingMyWay said...

Did you see that Pres. Obama signed it this morning?? Finally!!

Neal said...

Yeeha! :)

Michael Liberty said...

For the most part, I agree with you, Neal. But I think that some people would find it hard to differential being open about their sexuality with being okay or even proud of it. In my opinion, I wish that more people understood this subject since it is obviously a popular one. And, to be honest, I don't see how else to get to that point without the subject being more approachable. Even so, if I were straight, it might make me unconfortable known that Brother Morris, who I've known all my life, might be gay.