Friday, May 27, 2011

Things Kept

I don't normally keep anything I really don't need - especially if its on paper. Just clutters things up. I have a nice shredder and I put it to good use regularly. But I got something in the mail the other day that I will definitely keep...

One of the "tender mercies" I have been given in this life is some very loving and dear friends. One family in particular, who has a bunch of kids, is especially supportive and caring. I've tried to reciprocate as best I could, never knowing at times if I was making a difference at all.

So the oldest child who's still at home is now graduating from High School, and I got a little card in the mail from him the other day:

Neal,

Thank you so much for your graduation present! I thought the card was hilarious. Thanks for always being there for me, literally! You're such a great example of love, friendship, and hard work to me, and I hope I can show these same qualities as well. Thank you for coming to every one of my birthday parties, and I won't ever forget our steak dinners!


Love ya Neal
I was unprepared for the emotion this would stir up inside me. I don't have kids of my own, but this really touched me, and perhaps for a brief moment I knew what parents must feel like at times. That they have made a difference, and that its all worth it. I was reminded of a scripture in Luke 2:19, referring to the events surrounding the Savior's birth:  "But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart."

I, too, will keep all these things (small as they may be) and treasure them.





3 comments:

Bravone said...

Awesome! A keeper for sure. Never underestimate your influence in the lives of others.

Steve

emerdean said...

you have a treasure in that relationship. and so does that young man.

Neal said...

Steve,

Thanks. It also makes you a little self-conscious, doesn't it? They're WATCHING....LOL!


Emer,

Thanks, and so true - it is a treasure.