Friday, January 13, 2012

JiM Unveiled

Anyone wanting to know what a Journey Into Manhood weekend is like, this is a good read:

 Tim Cox - My Journey Into Manhood

Participants in these weekends are required to sign non-disclosure agreements, so I was a little surprised someone would write such a detailed account, but here it is. While the author is definitely going in as a skeptic intent on revealing the "secrets" of the experience, I think one can get a good idea of the approach being taken and some of the more controversial parts of the program.

My earlier impressions (based on private feedback) that this was a combination of corporate retreat team-building type activities and emotional bloodletting are largely confirmed. Some of it actually seems kind of creepy - some of it not. All of it includes a LOT of drama. But of course, this is only one person's perspective on the experience. I have friends who have attended who say they actually got a lot out of it.

Here's the People Can Change website. Read the story yourself from both sides of the aisle and draw your own conclusions...

2 comments:

Mr. B. said...

I remember reading some of this previously. I have known some friends who went to Evergreen, others JIM. For some, it is a huge help. These are people who are fighting so hard against being gay. They don't want this to be genetic. So, they are looking to being repaired. Some are where they are because they have deficits in their lives and were nurtured toward gay.

However, I didn't have any of the "gym" problems. I didn't play with dolls, I made my sisters play matchbox cars with me. I can't fully relate to the tasks and sessions that go on in Evergreen or JIM. And, I am like many other gay men and women.

Having read the fears of the writer, I can definitely understand his concern and ... in many ways, I have the same concerns. I've seen people try suicide when they can't change. I've seen others change ... then change back ... then want to change .... only to change back. It has ended up ruining lives, their own, their families (wives, kids, etc.).

I'd hope that everyone could realize the benefit of being who we are ... and loving ourselves and loving others. If you believe in almost any God, it is what he asks of us. Love, Peace, Charity.

Neal said...

Mr. B,

Like you, I was not a "Barbie Doll" kind of gay kid - I had a GI Joe. And I liked to take his pants off.
*grin*

Hard to relate to some of this stuff, but there seems to be all kinds of us in the MoHo world. I just hope those who reach out in desperation to programs like these don't get their hopes dashed. The JiM web site says 4 out of 5 participants report "reduction in SSA". Since they have made the JiM experience a secret fraternity, we will never know for sure.