Monday, May 7, 2012

Everyone's a little bit...

homophobic?

I'm sure many will recognize the song from the hit Broaday musical 'Avenue Q' called 'Everyone's A Little Bit Racist' (see it here). This song got me thinking about an incident that happened the other day when I was talking to my good friend and mentor. Something came up sort of gay related in the conversation, and I noticed a little 'wince' in his expression - a little glimmer of uncomfortablness. It wasn't anything bad or offensive, either, and I think that's what made me notice it. I realized that even though we're great friends and he loves and accepts me just like I am - even though he's straight - there's a still a little bit of homophobia just below the surface. I think this is true for a lot of straight people - maybe most of them. Its just something I think straight folks have a hard time relating to. What do you think?
Is 'Everyone A Little Homphobic' when you get right down to it??

3 comments:

J G-W said...

Yes we are, including gay people.

This is something we all have to sort through together.

We all grew up with a set of ideas that made no room for gayness; and we all discovered, in spite of ourselves, the existence of gayness; and we're all having to rearrange our mental landscapes to account for it.

So I'm always grateful for the folks who are willing to go this journey with us, even if they wince once in a while. :-)

Neal said...

Good points JGW. I agree completely.

Anonymous said...

I'm a male, attracted to the same sex since 12-years-old but the idea of two females getting it on totally freaks me out as gross and "WRONG!" My straight friends who accept me, I love you because, clearly viewing my proclivities as I view lesbians' (as an "oh gross" thought), you still accept me and love me! I can see why it's so hard for people to accept us, it just doesn't FEEL natural to them! It takes serious prefrontal cortex work to rise above one's immediate instinctive responses to have compassion on those sexually different from ourselves.